An explosion of violent crimes has hit the streets of Brazil after the military police went on police.
Looting, rape and murders have been reported as the scenes of devastation are being compared to the 2014 thriller The Purge.
officers staging a walk-out over conditions, lawless gangs wielding
guns and machetes appear to be running riot – while dead bodies line the
The violence in Espírito Santo has reportedly seen thugs ‘shooting anyone who passes’ and buses being set on fire.
One resident told Political Outsource : “The thugs are randomly shooting at anyone who passes the street in Espírito Santo.
“My God what is happening.”
have been closed and even football matches cancelled in the affected
areas due to the lack of security, which has meant many people are
refusing to even venture outdoors.
“I won’t even leave my house today,” one Brazilian resident in Espirato Santo told Political Outsource.
are absolutely crazy, there are people running around with guns in
pretty populated areas, dozens of people stealing from malls, even dead
bodies on streets.”
The governor of Vitoria in eastern Brazil called Monday for
federal troops to come to the rescue after police went on strike,
leaving the city at the mercy of criminals.
The acting governor
of Espirito Santo state, Cesar Colnago, asked President Michel Temer “to
send the National Force and the army to safeguard the security of
citizens,” a statement on the governor’s website said.
aided by relatives and sympathizers blockading police stations, have
been protesting against unpaid salaries since early Saturday.
With no patrols on the streets over the weekend, assaults and other crime have multiplied, Brazilian media reported.
State security chief Andre Garcia said on his Facebook page
that the police chief had been replaced and that the new commander was
tasked with “restoring order and discipline.”
Talks would take
place with the disgruntled officers “but with the fundamental condition
that police are put on the streets,” he said.
“All possible means will be used to police the streets.”
reaction to the chaos, the government agreed to re-open negotiations
with the military police with new talks to begin today providing
officers return to the streets.
State Secretary of Public Security André Garcia told Globo
: “The first step taken by the government to overthrow this movement
was the filing of a lawsuit requiring the illegality of the movement to
“Our intention is to negotiate, always, but this
negotiation must be based on mutual respect, and the condition for the
police come to patrol the streets and answer the calls of the Capixabas
The government has threatened to file a lawsuit against the force, claiming the strike is illegal.