COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE MARATHON MEETING OF OODUA PEOPLE’S CONGRESS LED BY OTUNBA (DR) GANI ADAMS HELD ON THE 10TH & 11TH DAY OF JANUARY, 2017 AT WHITE HOUSE, SOBA TOWN, ABULE ADO, FESTAC, PHASE 2, LAGOS
1. Pursuant to the meeting of the National Executive Council (NEC), which is the highest decision making organ of the congress, held on the 8th of January 2017 at the congress office in Lagos, Lagos State, the Congress unanimously resolved that there shall be a quarterly meeting of the NEC and that the meeting shall be held during the first week of every quarter and/or during emergency situations.
2. The National Executive Council unanimously agreed that Barrister Yinka Oguntimehin be appointed and was subsequently duly appointed as the Publicity Secretary of the Congress, while Comrade Akeem Ologunro was appointed as the Deputy Director of Programme of the congress. These appointments were conveyed to the National Coordinating Council at the Marathon Meeting.
3. The Congress gave awards of excellence to three (3) most outstanding states vis a vis Lagos, Ogun and Oyo and ten (10) local governments in Lagos State vis a vis Amuwo Odofin L.G, Apapa-Iganmu L.G, Eti-Osa L.G, Ibeju L.G, Igbogbo Baiyeku L.G, Ikorodu Central L.G, Ikorodu North, Ikosi-Isheri and Oriade L.G for excellent performance and financial commitment to the growth and development of the organization in the year 2016.
4. The Organization re-affirms its commitment to true restructuring of the federation for growth, development and actualization of the potential of the federating units in consonance with the report of 2014 National Confab report which is yet to be implemented by the Federal Government of Nigeria.
5. Mobilization of more members and ensuring that all members of the organization are encouraged to obtain their current identity cards.
6. The Secretary, Finance and Treasurer Committees are to participate in the quarterly National Coordinating Council meetings and every yearly marathon meetings of the congress for effective dissemination of information to grass root members.
7. The Organization resolved to continue supporting its sister organization; Oodua Progressive Union (OPU) which is in the Diaspora in furtherance of promoting Yoruba unity and culture globally.
8. Congress also condemns the wanton killing of unarmed and innocent Nigerian citizens in southern Kaduna, in Kaduna State by alleged Fulani Militia.
9. Congress applauds the meeting initiated by Governors of the states in the south west of Nigeria, held in Ibadan, Oyo State on the 22nd day of November, 2016, where it was agreed that the meeting shall be a continuous one, to be held every four months on rotational basis among the south west Governors. We urge them to take urgent steps towards regional integration of the south west and Yoruba unity.
10.We appeal to our Royal fathers who are the custodian of Yoruba Culture and heritage to urgently take steps towards the preservation of our common heritage, Yoruba language and foster unity amongst all Yoruba both within Nigeria and in the Diaspora.
Otunba (Dr.) Gani Adams….National Coordinator, Oodua People’s Congress
Bar. Tanimowo Babajide
National General Secretary, Oodua People’s Congress.