Wednesday, August 19, 2026
  • About Us
  • Letter to the Editor
  • Data Usage Policy
  • Contact Us
MetroNews NG
  • Metro
  • Lagos
    • Opinion
    • Interview
    • Weird
  • World
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Nollywood
  • Odawood
  • Lifestyle
    • Careers
    • Education
    • Health
  • MetronewsNG TV
No Result
View All Result
MetroNews NG
No Result
View All Result

US bombers fly over South China Sea

metronews by metronews
July 7, 2017
in News, World
0

Two U.S bombers have flown over the disputed South China Sea, the US Air Force says, asserting the right to treat the region as international territory despite China’s claims in the busy waterway.
The flight from Guam on Thursday came as US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping prepare for a likely meeting on the sidelines of the G20 summit in Germany.
The two leaders were expected to discuss what Beijing can do to rein in Pyongyang’s missiles and nuclear weapons programs.
The US believes North Korea fired an intercontinental ballistic missile on Tuesday that put parts of the US mainland within range of Pyongyang’s warheads for the first time.
China claims nearly all of the South China Sea, through which about $US5 trillion in ship-borne trade passes each year, a stance contested by Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam.
Beijing usually protests against freedom of navigation operations such as bomber flights.
The US has criticised China’s build-up of military facilities in the South China Sea, concerned that they could be used to extend Beijing’s strategic reach.
The two Lancers that made the latest flight on Friday had earlier trained with Japanese jet fighters in the neighbouring East China Sea, the first time the two forces had conducted joint night-time drills.
“This is a clear demonstration of our ability to conduct seamless operations with all our allies,” US Air Force spokesman Major Ryan Simpson said in a statement.
Two US B-1B Lancer bombers flew from Guam over the South China Sea last month, while a US warship carried out a manoeuvring drill within 12 nautical miles of one of China’s artificial islands in the waterway in late May.

Previous Post

Barcelona shooting leaves one cop fighting for his life and another seriously injured after gunman ‘stormed funeral parlour in Gava’

Next Post

WoliAgba Turns Up First Official Birthday Pictures

Related Posts

News

US Judge Grants Four-Day Extension for Release of Tinubu-Linked Records

August 18, 2026
News

NDLEA Destroys N301bn Illicit Drugs in Lagos, Warns Traffickers

August 18, 2026
News

Tinubu, Northern Leaders Celebrate Babangida at 85, Hail His Legacy

August 18, 2026
Next Post

WoliAgba Turns Up First Official Birthday Pictures

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

BROWSE BY CATEGORIES

  • #SmartLagos
  • Accident
  • Aviation
  • Award
  • Banking
  • Basketball
  • Beauty
  • Boxing
  • Brands
  • Breaking
  • Business
  • Careers
  • Community development
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Default
  • Domestic violence
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Empowerment
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Event
  • Fashion
  • Featured
  • Finance
  • Football
  • Gaming
  • Gist
  • Golf
  • Health
  • Inspirational Patience
  • Interview
  • Investigative
  • Law
  • Lifestyle
  • local
  • MetroMan
  • MetroPerson
  • metroplus
  • MetroProfile
  • Movies
  • Music
  • MUSIC
  • New Music
  • News
  • nolly wood
  • Nollywood
  • Novels
  • Odawood
  • Oil&Gas
  • Opinion
  • Parenting
  • Photos
  • Politics
  • Press Release
  • Relationship
  • Religion
  • Scandal
  • Security
  • Sex
  • Society
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • TV
  • Videos
  • Weird
  • Wheels
  • World

BROWSE BY TOPICS

#COVID19Nigeria 2027 elections Ademola Adeleke APC Atiku Abubakar boko haram Bola Tinubu Buhari Bukola Saraki business CBN court COVID-19 crime davido efcc Entertainment News Featured Federal Government FG Governance INEC Kayode Fayemi Lagos Lagos State Muhammadu Buhari NCDC NDLEA news Nigeria Nigerian Entertainment nigeria news Nigerian politics Nigeria politics NLC Nollywood Obaseki ogun state PDP Peter Obi police politics senate tinubu wike


Recent News

  • US Judge Grants Four-Day Extension for Release of Tinubu-Linked Records
  • Taiwo Hassan: Daughter Debunks Death Rumour Amid Stage Four Cancer Battle
  • Beauty Tukura Reacts to David Martins’ Domestic Violence Allegations, Urges Public to Report Him
  • About Us
  • Letter to the Editor
  • Data Usage Policy
  • Contact Us

© Copyright MetroNews NG 2020. All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Metro
  • Lagos
    • Opinion
    • Interview
    • Weird
  • World
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Nollywood
  • Odawood
  • Lifestyle
    • Careers
    • Education
    • Health
  • MetronewsNG TV

© Copyright MetroNews NG 2020. All rights reserved.