Friends and neighbours today paid tribute to a Nigerian lad, Mr Badru, who was found fatally injured near his mother’s house in Ferncliff Road shortly after 11pm yesterday. Mr Badru’s killing is the third in Hackney this year, and the 10th in London in the last fortnight.
A sports volunteer group leader said: “Late Prince Abraham was a member of TeamNigeriaUK and Int’l who had been volunteering as a coach and was with us to Nigeria in 2016 and Also work with the boys during our friendly game against Yeovil Town FC last year. He was still expected tomorrow (Tuesday) to attend the open trials we are having for the U-16’s but unfortunately look at what happened. He’s such a wonderful guy full of life and very hardworking.”
The mother of Mr Badru’s girlfriend told the the press: “All I can tell you is he was a very good lad. A beautiful, beautiful person.
We want this to be published because too many young lives are going too soon.”
A friend who knew the victim’s family from Nigeria added: “He was a very responsible god fearing boy.”
Police have taped off Ferncliff Road in Dalston following last night’s shooting. Picture: Emma BartholomewPolice have taped off Ferncliff Road in Dalston following last night’s shooting.
One neighbour described hearing “one shot and a cry of pain”.
The man described looking out from his balcony and seeing “a man slumped over on the ground at the back of a car”.
“As soon as I heard the bang, I knew it was a gunshot,” he said. “I’m ex-military and knew that couldn’t be a firework.
“There was just one shot and a cry of pain. No speeding scooter and no speeding car.”
The man, who has lived on Mountford Estate since it was built in the 1980s, is considering moving out.
“I’m trying to raise a child here but with the number of people carrying knives and guns it just isn’t safe,” he said.
Officers carried out house-to-house inquiries this morning, while distressed family members and friends were seen visiting what is understood to be the family home.
Det Ch Insp Larry Smith, from Scotland Yard’s murder squad, appealed to anyone with information to “come forward without delay”.
“We are appealing for information so we can establish the circumstances which led to a young man losing his life,” he added.