The death toll in the building collapse that occurred in Lagos State on Sunday has increased to eight.
Officials of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency said one more body was recovered by emergency responders.
The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency spokesperson, Nosa Okunbor, also stated that 20 people were rescued while giving an update Monday morning.
He gave the breakdown as “10 seriously injured and taken to Lagos Island General Hospital, 10 mildly injured and treated at the scene. Eight fatalities.”
Though the cause of the collapse is yet to be given, it was learnt that the building was under construction when it collapsed around 5.40 pm.
It was gathered that labourers were working on the third floor of the building, which had earlier been sealed off by the Lagos State Building Control Agency, when it caved in, trapped and killed some of them.
A caution tape used in sealing off the building was sighted by our correspondent.
However, based on the account of some rescued victims, it was gathered that some of the labourers, said to be Muslims, were observing prayers when the tragedy struck.