Wednesday, May 20, 2026
  • About Us
  • Letter to the Editor
  • Data Usage Policy
  • Contact Us
MetroNews NG
  • Metro
  • Lagos
    • Opinion
    • Interview
    • Weird
  • World
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Nollywood
  • Odawood
  • Lifestyle
    • Careers
    • Education
    • Health
  • MetronewsNG TV
No Result
View All Result
MetroNews NG
No Result
View All Result

Boko Haram Persists Due To Army’s Poor Strategy – Minister

metronews by metronews
November 7, 2019
in Crime
0

The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management, Sadiya Umar-Farouq, has blamed the failure to end the Boko Haram war on “poor management” of strategy on the part of the military and other international humanitarian agencies working in North-east Nigeria.

Mrs Umar-Farouq said this at the opening of a 3-days international workshop on civil-security cooperation holding in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.

The minister said though all the relevant stakeholders have put in their best to ensure the decade long war comes to an end, lack of “civil-security relations have continued to frustrate and plunge successes being recorded.”

Ms Umar-Farouq recalled that the recent banning of two international non-governmental agencies, Action Against Hunger and Mercy Corps, by the Nigeria military was a function of lack of proper synergy amongst the key actors at the frontline.

Mercy Corps and Action Against Hunger have since resumed work this week following the temporary lifting of the ban by the Nigerian government last week.

The two outfits were accused by the military of “aiding and abetting” the activities of the Boko Haram.
Minister’s charge

Speaking at the opening of the workshop on Wednesday, the minister said: “It is apparent that where civil-security relations are poorly managed, humanitarian action may inadvertently compound other security problems.”

“It has become obvious that it is increasingly more difficult for humanitarian organisations to operate independently in humanitarian environments.”

She said the presence of security operatives in many of the crisis-ridden areas make those communities safe and accessible for humanitarian actors to carry out their activities.

“Therefore, the need to ensure cordial and constructive relations between civil and security actors cannot be overemphasised.”

The minister said existing disparities in the guiding principles and rules of engagement of the military, security agencies and the international organisations “have been the bane of productive co-existence in the North-east.”

“These differences often lead to an adversarial relationship fraught with mistrust and misperception.

“These misunderstandings led to the banning of two INGOs by the military in August 2019. As we are aware the ban has been temporarily lifted.”

Ms Umar-Farouq said the workshop would help smoothen the rough edges that exist amongst the parties.

Meanwhile, the minister of defence, Bashir Magashi, who represented the president, commended the humanitarian ministry for organising the workshop.

The minister observed that the relationship between humanitarian and security actors is always fraught with suspicion in many theatres of conflict globally.

“In the North-east of Nigeria, the tension between the CSOs and the security apparatus deteriorated into a full-blown impasse this year, which ultimately resulted in the suspension of activities of some INGOs by Operation Lafiya Dole Theater Command. These challenges have had an adverse effect on humanitarian response,” he said.

Mr Magashi added that it was the strained relationship that necessitated “an urgent need to develop a Civil Security Cooperation (CISEC) framework for Humanitarian Interventions in the North East.”

“Hence, our gathering here today is to strategize and stress the importance of fostering a better relationship between the military, para-military and the other humanitarian actors in the face of the crisis in the North-east.”

Governor of Borno, Babagana Zulum, and the United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator, Edward Kallon, earlier both talked about the increasing activities of Boko Haram and how it has affected a large number of persons in the state.

Mr Kallon, in a keynote address, said the conflict has worsened with insurgents blocking access to over 1.2 million people in dire need of life-saving assistance.

Previous Post

27yo rapes 38yo woman while asleep

Next Post

Fayemi enjoins Olujimi to be magnanimous in victory

Related Posts

NDLEA Nabs China-Based Businessman, Two Angolans After Excreting 236 Cocaine Pellets at Airports
Crime

NDLEA Nabs China-Based Businessman, Two Angolans After Excreting 236 Cocaine Pellets at Airports

February 16, 2026
NAPTIP Rescues 23 Nigerians Trafficked to Southeast Asia for Forced Cybercrime
Crime

NAPTIP Rescues 23 Nigerians Trafficked to Southeast Asia for Forced Cybercrime

February 12, 2026
US Court Jails Nigerian Man 97 Months for $6 Million Inheritance Fraud Targeting Elderly Americans
Crime

US Court Jails Nigerian Man 97 Months for $6 Million Inheritance Fraud Targeting Elderly Americans

February 7, 2026
Next Post

Fayemi enjoins Olujimi to be magnanimous in victory

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

BROWSE BY CATEGORIES

  • #SmartLagos
  • Accident
  • Aviation
  • Award
  • Banking
  • Basketball
  • Beauty
  • Boxing
  • Brands
  • Breaking
  • Business
  • Careers
  • Community development
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Default
  • Domestic violence
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Empowerment
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Event
  • Fashion
  • Featured
  • Finance
  • Football
  • Gaming
  • Gist
  • Golf
  • Health
  • Inspirational Patience
  • Interview
  • Investigative
  • Law
  • Lifestyle
  • local
  • MetroMan
  • MetroPerson
  • metroplus
  • MetroProfile
  • Movies
  • Music
  • MUSIC
  • New Music
  • News
  • nolly wood
  • Nollywood
  • Novels
  • Odawood
  • Oil&Gas
  • Opinion
  • Parenting
  • Photos
  • Politics
  • Press Release
  • Relationship
  • Religion
  • Scandal
  • Security
  • Sex
  • Society
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • TV
  • Videos
  • Weird
  • Wheels
  • World

BROWSE BY TOPICS

#COVID19Nigeria 2027 elections APC Atiku Abubakar boko haram Bola Tinubu Buhari Bukola Saraki business CBN court COVID-19 crime davido ECOWAS Edo Election Edo State Election efcc Featured Federal Government FG INEC Kayode Fayemi Lagos Lagos State Muhammadu Buhari NCDC NDLEA news Nigeria nigeria news Nigerian politics Nigeria politics NLC Nollywood Obaseki ogun state PDP Peter Obi police politics senate tinubu wike Yemi Osinbajo


Recent News

  • Mr. Jollof Endorses Tinubu 2027: ‘We Support Him With Our Full Chest’
  • BBNaija Season 11 Auditions Are Free — Don’t Fall for Fake Payment Scams!
  • Jonathan Sparks Laughter Calling Sanusi “My Good Friend” at Gowon’s Book Launch
  • About Us
  • Letter to the Editor
  • Data Usage Policy
  • Contact Us

© Copyright MetroNews NG 2020. All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Metro
  • Lagos
    • Opinion
    • Interview
    • Weird
  • World
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Nollywood
  • Odawood
  • Lifestyle
    • Careers
    • Education
    • Health
  • MetronewsNG TV

© Copyright MetroNews NG 2020. All rights reserved.