Friday, August 21, 2026
  • About Us
  • Letter to the Editor
  • Data Usage Policy
  • Contact Us
MetroNews NG
  • Metro
  • Lagos
    • Opinion
    • Interview
    • Weird
  • World
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Nollywood
  • Odawood
  • Lifestyle
    • Careers
    • Education
    • Health
  • MetronewsNG TV
No Result
View All Result
MetroNews NG
No Result
View All Result

Lagos Assembly Halts Makoko Demolition After Protests, Promises Compensation and Stakeholder Engagement

Olamide Taiwo by Olamide Taiwo
February 5, 2026
in Society
0
Lagos Assembly Halts Makoko Demolition After Protests, Promises Compensation and Stakeholder Engagement

 

The Lagos State House of Assembly has ordered the immediate suspension of ongoing demolitions in Makoko following protests by residents and advocacy groups over the exercise.

The decision was announced on Tuesday after a meeting between lawmakers and representatives of the Makoko community at the Assembly Complex in Alausa, Ikeja.

Issuing the directive, the Majority Leader of the House, Hon. Noheem Adams, said the Assembly was treating the matter with utmost seriousness and would ensure that the concerns of affected residents are addressed.

“On behalf of the Speaker of the Lagos State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Mudashiru Ajayi Obasa, and all honourable members, we direct that all ongoing demolitions in Makoko be stopped,” Adams said.

He explained that the Assembly would engage relevant ministries and agencies to review the circumstances surrounding the demolitions and ensure that all stakeholders are properly consulted.

Adams also demanded transparency in the process, calling for a full disclosure of the taskforce handling the exercise, including the list of its members and the criteria used in their engagement.

“We want to see the list of the taskforce that was constituted and the criteria for their selection, so that residents can be fully carried along,” he said.

Assuring residents of the Assembly’s support, Adams pledged that demolitions would not continue and that compensation would be paid to all those whose properties had already been affected.

“As your representatives, we assure you that demolitions will stop, and compensation will be provided for all demolished properties,” he added.

Also speaking, Hon. Stephen Ogundipe, a member of the ad-hoc committee set up on the issue, stressed the need for clear and timely communication, noting that residents must be adequately informed before any relocation or redevelopment plans are implemented.

Meanwhile, the Special Adviser to the Lagos State Governor on E-GIS and Urban Renewal, Babatunde Olajide, disclosed that the state government had earmarked $2 million since 2021 for the transformation of Makoko into a modern, internationally compliant water city.

Olajide said the enumeration of affected properties is ongoing and reaffirmed the government’s commitment to handling the redevelopment process with a human face, prioritising residents’ safety and fair compensation.

Tags: Community ProtestsdemolitionHousing RightsLAGOS ASSEMBLYLagos State GovernmentMakokoMudashiru ObasaUrban Renewal
Previous Post

Rivers Crisis: APC Backs Tinubu’s Intervention, Says President Acted Within Constitutional Limits

Next Post

Nollywood Actress Aunty Ajara Is Dead After Prolonged Illness

Related Posts

Society

Gumi: Governments Should Use Public Funds to Support Marriage Under Shariah

August 14, 2026
Society

Olowu of Kuta Felicitates Olowu of Owu Abeokuta on Coronation Celebration

August 2, 2026
Society

Awujale’s Successor Still Unknown One Year After Oba Adetona’s Passing

July 17, 2026
Next Post
Nollywood Actress Aunty Ajara Is Dead After Prolonged Illness

Nollywood Actress Aunty Ajara Is Dead After Prolonged Illness

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

BROWSE BY CATEGORIES

  • #SmartLagos
  • Accident
  • Aviation
  • Award
  • Banking
  • Basketball
  • Beauty
  • Boxing
  • Brands
  • Breaking
  • Business
  • Careers
  • Community development
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Default
  • Domestic violence
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Empowerment
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Event
  • Fashion
  • Featured
  • Finance
  • Football
  • Gaming
  • Gist
  • Golf
  • Health
  • Inspirational Patience
  • Interview
  • Investigative
  • Law
  • Lifestyle
  • local
  • MetroMan
  • MetroPerson
  • metroplus
  • MetroProfile
  • Movies
  • MUSIC
  • Music
  • New Music
  • News
  • nolly wood
  • Nollywood
  • Novels
  • Odawood
  • Oil&Gas
  • Opinion
  • Parenting
  • Photos
  • Politics
  • Press Release
  • Relationship
  • Religion
  • Scandal
  • Security
  • Sex
  • Society
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • TV
  • Videos
  • Weird
  • Wheels
  • World

BROWSE BY TOPICS

#COVID19Nigeria 2027 elections Ademola Adeleke APC Atiku Abubakar boko haram Bola Tinubu Buhari Bukola Saraki business CBN court COVID-19 crime davido efcc Entertainment News Featured Federal Government FG Governance INEC Kayode Fayemi Lagos Lagos State Muhammadu Buhari NCDC NDLEA news Nigeria Nigerian Entertainment nigeria news Nigerian politics Nigeria politics NLC Nollywood Obaseki ogun state PDP Peter Obi police politics senate tinubu wike


Recent News

  • 2027: ADC Governorship Candidate Adegoke Meets Olopoeyan Behind Closed Doors
  • Hilda Baci Gives Seyi Vibez 3-Day Ultimatum Over Alleged Defamation
  • Tinubu Meets Re-elected Adeleke Behind Closed Doors at Presidential Villa
  • About Us
  • Letter to the Editor
  • Data Usage Policy
  • Contact Us

© Copyright MetroNews NG 2020. All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Metro
  • Lagos
    • Opinion
    • Interview
    • Weird
  • World
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Nollywood
  • Odawood
  • Lifestyle
    • Careers
    • Education
    • Health
  • MetronewsNG TV

© Copyright MetroNews NG 2020. All rights reserved.